Magpi requires a mobile device that is running a recent version of the operating system, with a minimum of 2GB of RAM memory. WE DO NOT SUPPORT ANY DEVICES THAT DO NOT MEET THESE SPECIFICATIONS. As with any computer program, Magpi will run faster if the device running it has more RAM memory, and as with any computer system, longer and more complex forms will require more RAM memory.
Your Android device should
- have at least 2GB of RAM memory
- be running Android 4.4 (KitKat) or later
- download Magpi from Google Play
- be able to install Google Play updates
- have Google Play services up to date
Your Android or iOS device should
- have GPS and location services enabled
- have a working internet connection during setup his is not required during data collection)
Also, never go to the field without testing your form on the same kind of device that will be used in the field, well in advance of your field activity. Longer forms require more memory, which usually means a more expensive phone, so do not plan to collect data with a 500 question survey on a $30 basic phone (or tablet). Also, if using the data collectors personal phones or tablets, note that they are likely to be full of personal data (music, photos), without enough free resources for Magpi to use).
Performance of a particular form on a particular device cannot be determined without actual testing.