Default Roles and Privileges
In Magpi, you can share forms with users of the mobile app and with users of the website. In some cases you may want to restrict those users to certain functions. In the most common example, you might want "Robert" to be able to add data on the mobile device, but not to be able to view and edit data on the website at www.magpi.com.
Each possible such function is referred to as a "privilege", and by default Magpi presents three collections of privileges, called "roles." The mobileDataCollector role, for example, only includes one single privilege: add mobile data. The formAdmin role, on the other hand, gives all available privileges; if you share a form with someone and give them the formAdmin role they can edit your form, delete data, etc.
Below is an image detailing privileges associated to default roles :
(click image to enlarge)
Default roles and privileges cannot be modified. Customizable roles are available for Magpi enterprise users.
How to modify a user's privilege.
To modify the privilege.
- Select the user in the user's table
- Select the role you want to change to
- Select 'Change Selected users and groups to selected Role
Creating Custom Roles (Enterprise users only)
Working from a Magpi Enterprise Account gives you the ability to create custom roles and assign desired privileges on them.
This diagram shows more information about how the default roles might work in practice:
To create custom roles:
- Access the contacts view in your dashboard
- Go to the Roles tab
- Add custom role by entering it’s name and clicking Add
- The role will be successfully created and updated on the table.
- Adjust privileges by selecting checkboxes for all permissions you desire for the roles.
- Save Changes to update the role.