MagSync Local Gateway App
Magsync is Magpi's very own local gateway app that forwards questions from your Magpi form to shared phone number(s) by means of SMS. The biggest advantage of using a local gateway app is that it uploads each question at a time via an internet connection, and then forwards it to shared numbers via SMS. This saves you the cost of Messaging as it only consumes your phone's SMS credits, so none of your account's messaging credits will be consumed.
|Gateway ||No Gateway|
|Messaging credits are not charged||Messaging credits are charged for each text.|
|Messages are received from a local number - Can be used in countries where international numbers are blocked.||Message is received from an international number|
|It is cheaper to reply to a local number as local rates apply.||It is expensive to reply to an international number|
|In cases of poor network signals, failed messages can be reposted from the app as long as it connected to the internet. ||Reposting to an international number is expensive.|
How it works
Magpi Sync reduces SMS costs by downloading messages from your Magpi account and forwarding them to a number. Here are the steps involved:
- A number is assigned on your Magpi SMS settings. This number acts as a gateway and will be used to forward Magpi questions from your online survey, to shared phone number(s) in form of SMS.
- The Gateway app pulls questions from your Magpi form, and forwards the questions in form of SMS, through a working internet connection.
- The message is synced to your device and then forwarded to numbers that have been shared on the form's isms share screen.
Before getting started, ensure that you have these requirements:
- An android device which should run the gateway app.
- Active GSM - The sim card in your gateway device must be connected to the network/ your local cell phone carrier.
- A working data connection on your gateway device.
- Active airtime/SMS bundles on your gateway device.
To get started, download Magpi SMS gateway app here.
Note: This app is only available in the Android Platform.
Setting up your Local Gateway
These steps will guide you in setting up Magpi Sync on your gateway device.
- First, ensure that you have set up your iSMS gateway in your SMS settings screen on the website. To set up, Navigate to your account settings by Selecting your username, and then go to the 'SMS' View.
- Install MagSync on the phone that will be used as the Local gateway.
- Log in to the app with the same credentials you are logged in to where you have configured your SMS settings on the website. On log in, the website's settings are automatically picked up by the app, so no further configuration is required.
- Select the options menu at the top left of the app and go to Settings.
- In the settings screen, Select your SMS Endpoint (e.g iSMS Endpoint for interactive iSMS) and turn on the 'ISMS Endpoint'.
- Select 'Enable Sync Service'.
- Under other Settings, enter the number on your gateway device as the 'Unique Device ID' . This should match the number you entered in step 1.
- Save the setting.
If the settings are correct, you should get a response 'Integration test passed' from the server each time you select the 'SAVE SETTINGS' button.
The next step after this is to initiate your SMS session by sharing your form with the destination number. The first time you initiate a session, a pop up will appear on your screen asking you to allow SMSsync to send and view mesages. Select 'Allow'
You're all set.
After completing your set up, test by sharing your form with a number in the interactive SMS view. The form's questions will be sent to the shared number as SMS messages through the gateway number. On replying to the gateway number, your replies will then be synced to the gateway app then uploaded to your form.
IMPORTANT: keep MagSync running and visible on the phone, with the screen unlocked
If your gateway device has a display lock setting, after a few minutes of inactivity when the app is minimized, the device usually automatically locks the display. When this happens, it can affect messaging. For this reason, you should
1 - Keep Magsync app visible (do not not minimize the application) on the phone. This should stop the device from locking the screen.
2 - Remove the device's screen lock setting (in device settings)
See more on Trouble shooting gateway issues here.