MagSync is Magpi's SMS local gateway app.
How it works
MagSync reduces SMS costs by downloading messages from your Magpi account and forwarding them to a number. Here are the steps involved:
- A number is assigned on your Magpi SMS settings. This number acts as a gateway and will be used to forward Magpi questions to other numbers.
- When Magpi's gateway app (installed on the gateway device) is turned on, the app downloads questions from your Magpi form in form of a message, through a working internet connection.
- The message is synced in your gateway device.
- The message is then forwarded to the number the form has been shared with as an SMS
Before getting started, ensure that you have these requirements:
- Messaging credits on your Magpi account
- An android device which should run the gateway app. It is best to select a well-reviewed and capable device, with plenty of RAM memory, to serve as your gateway. Cheap devices with little memory or slow processors are bound to cause trouble.
- Active GSM - The sim card in your gateway device must be connected to the network
- A working data connection on your gateway device
- Active airtime/SMS bundles on your gateway device
To get started, download MagSync here.
Note: This app is only available in the Android Platform.
Setting up your Local Gateway
These steps will guide you in setting up MagSync on your gateway device.
- First, ensure that you have set up your iSMS gateway in your SMS settings screen on the website. To set up, Navigate to your account settings by Selecting your username, and then go to the 'SMS' View.
- Install MagSync on the phone that will be used as the Local gateway.
- Log in to the app with the same credentials you configured your SMS settings on the website. On log in, the website's settings are automatically picked up by the app, so no further configuration is required.
- When the app is open, select the options menu at the top left of the app and go to Settings.
- In the settings screen, Turn on structured SMS endpoint and Enable Sync Service . Under other Settings, enter the number in your local gateway as the 'Unique Device ID' . This should match the number you entered in step 1.
- Save the setting.
If the settings are correct, you should get a response 'Integration test passed' from the server each time you select the 'SAVE SETTINGS' button.
The next step after this is to initiate your SMS session by sharing your form with the destination number. The first time you initiate a session, a pop up will appear on your screen asking you to allow SMSsync to send and view messages. Select 'Allow'.
You're all set. On initiating the session, your survey's questions will be sent to the destination number through the gateway number. On replying to the gateway number, the messages are then uploaded to Magpi Server by the app.
IMPORTANT: keep MagSync running and visible on the phone, with the screen unlocked
If your gateway device has a display lock setting, after a few minutes of inactivity when the app is minimized, the device usually automatically locks the display. When this happens, it can affect messaging. For this reason, you should
1 - Keep Magsync app visible (do not not minimize the application) on the phone. This should stop the device from locking the screen.
2 - Remove the device's screen lock setting (in device settings)